Thursday, June 30, 2016

Being Ernest

With the 4th of July weekend ahead of us, I decided to visit dad a day early. I was hoping for a little chat. I watched him sleep instead.

Holidays for us have been about inviting and gathering family.... all the extended family included. But, with kids getting older, life getting busier,  and yards& homes  under renovation,  these family gatherings have been suffering.  They have been different too, with dad gone. Perhaps, we need to make certain sacrifices and bring him home for a few hours.

Dad continues to sleep and I can't help but notice how much he looks like himself in this state. He is relaxed. No confused looks on his face.  No fidgeting with his clothes. Just peaceful. He awakened briefly and all the tension returned, melting away as he fell back into his peaceful slumber. I decided to go  and leave him in his good state.

Happy 4th of July,  Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment