Saturday, July 4, 2009

Oh, what a 4th.

My morning started off early. After sleeping in until 6:30 I got up and started preparing my donations for the family BBQ being hosted by my parents.

Later in the morning, my brother called to see if we were in Provo for the parade. After explaining that the parade was a pastime of the past, he informed us that his oldest daughter Rachel would be participating in a 3 vs. 3 soccer tournament in Provo. We promptly grabbed my camera, tossed a few chairs into the truck, leashed up the dog and headed south.

We enjoyed an exciting overtime-sudden death victory,

DSC_1390

followed by a championship victory and award ceremony.

DSC_1505

A quick stop for ice cream on the way home and then we grabbed the food and headed to the BBQ. A great evening with family – Mom & Dad, Evan’s mother, Eric and Tamra & kids, Uncle Ron & Aunt Julie. Travis, with kids in tow, made it up just in time to polish of the hamburgers and hot dogs.

It was great seeing Travis. I miss the days when we would get together with all of the cousins for holidays, birthdays, and other important events. It is too easy to let go of some of these memorable traditions when our lives become so busy with parenthood and we focus on creating traditions of our own. Perhaps an annual family event is in order. (If any Clinton/Rhea Smith descendant would like to offer some input as to what time of the year, season-wise, this event would best suit their family – please post a comment. I may take it under consideration.)

Kylee and her friends are on their way to Sugarhouse Park for fireworks and they rest of us have been debating on what our next course of action should be.

Last night, Evan and I took my camera out to the Rio Tinto Stadium to figure out what camera settings work best for fireworks. We caught a small pyrotechnics show and a few pictures worth saving. Tonight, after careful deliberation, we have determined that last nights show has met our firework quota and decided to opt out of traffic jams and crowds tonight. We told Taylor that we will do whatever she wanted. Without hesitation, she decided that a movie and popcorn in the comfort of home was what she was in the mood for.

So here I sit, blogging and finishing up Sharing Time while Evan and Tay rattle the windows in the basement.

Happy 4th of July! And may your celebration be just exactly what you want it to be.

DSC_1367-1 

(Rio Tinto Fireworks 7/3/09)

1 comment:

  1. Heather - It was a great afternoon to have all my family together. I am so thankful that both you and Eric are in the SL Valley so that we can be together often. Those are my favorite times when my family is together - especially for holidays.

    ReplyDelete