Saturday, February 6, 2010

Doing good

As I reflect on my New Years resolution, doing a daily good deed, I find that it is much easier than I anticipated. I thought that I would need to put so much though and effort into this project. I was wrong.

I have found that there are MANY daily opportunities for random acts of kindness and the best part is that so many of them come naturally or are very simple to do.

  • smiling
  • praising a job well done (at work or at home)
  • being a courteous driver
  • letting someone in front of you in line
  • treating a friend to a movie or a diet coke
  • a  phone call instead of a text message
  • helping your neighbor
  • visiting (or home) teaching
  • giving your waiter or waitress a little extra tip

Just to name a few.

I have also found myself being more aware of the kindness of others. Ironically, this has done more for me, even when I was not the object of such deeds. What this awareness has given is PEACE in knowing that there IS good in this world. HOPE that mankind can still be selfless and charitable. REASSURANCE that even the simple things matter.

"I fear sometimes we see the Lord's love only in the big events of our lives; we must also see His love in the smallest of things. Don't underestimate your ability to share His love through a simple, genuine gesture such as sitting next to another sister and making her feel welcome."

Bonnie D. Parkin

More inspiration:

blog signature

No comments:

Post a Comment