Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ego Booster

Today, while I was at work
I received a phone call from home.
The voice on the end told me that the smoke detector has gone off.
I knew it was true, I could hear it in the background.
I also heard the dog barking.
I also heard the girls yelling at the dog to come back home.
He escaped through one of the many opened doors.

I was confident enough to believe it was a cooking induced alarm
so I talked my daughter through the rest of the house,
feeling each closed door, and then checking the room…
just to make sure.

I told her to also turn on all of the fans and open the rest of the windows,
and to call me in a few minutes if they did not stop.
That call came!
So, I grabbed work from my desk and told the office that I would finish my work at home.
(By the way… I LOVE where I work!!)

When I got home, I pulled up to a house
literally chirping with excitement.
I attempted to stop the alarms at the fuse box.
No luck.

I knew then, there was only one thing to do.
I pulled out the ladder, extended it, climbed
and had to quickly decide: smash or repair.

I opted for the latter.
I pulled the alarm off the ceiling and yanked out the battery.

Silence!
Relief!

What boosted my ego in this process?

The fact that my daughters,
in the midst of chaos  and possible danger
did not call 911.
They did not call dad.

They called mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment