Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ancestry

This month marks both the passing and the birthday of my late father-in-law. 
His birthday is this week, and this has been an unusually significant birthday. 
I attribute this to my upcoming lesson in Relief Society… Temple Work and Family History.
Up until his untimely death, he was diligent in his search for his ancestors.

As I have been making preparations for this lesson, I have been doing a little research.

I have spent more time than usual on familysearch.org,
the family history site for the Christ of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Because his family is a convert family, I decided to focus on searching for the same ancestors.

I have volunteered for world wide indexing so that I can gain experience
and understanding as I present this topic in the lesson.
(Ironically, indexing became the tool that has given me a lead on some of his missing family members.)

I must confess, this “research” has been more of a distraction than help.
I have located more family names that need temple work.
I have found some leads on a few “dead ends” on the family tree.
I have re-dedicated myself to attending the temple more often.
I have indexed over 500 names.
I have realized that you cannot take for granted that someone else has already done the work.
I have completely ignored the lesson book.

Here I am, days away from teaching, 
While I have not outlined a script for a lesson, my usual method of teaching (because it gives me security),
I have gained something much more valuable… loads of personal experiences to share with the sisters.
And, if I get a response to an email I sent to a stranger, possibly a miracle or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment