Friday, March 11, 2016

Being Ernest

Dad was a very dedicated journal keeper. He faithfully recorded thoughts and events. He even dedicated time to transposing his journal onto a computer. Naturally,  his diligence declined as his disease progressed.

My dad gave me much. Keeping this record is my way of giving him something back. It is also an opportunity to raise Alzheimers awareness,  in a very small way.

Today, dad was sleeping in the TV room. I just let him sleep as I sat and helped another resident with her word search. I tickled his foot to wake him up long enough to take his chocolate pudding disguised meds. He kept his eyes shut, but opened his mouth after each bite, just like an anxious baby bird being fed by its mother.  He promptly returned to his nap.

There was a brief moment when he opened his eyes and I jump up to his side. He happily said HELLO LADY to me and stroked my hair was we spoke a few words... and in an instant,  he was back to napping.


No comments:

Post a Comment