Friday, May 20, 2016

Being Ernest

Growing up, music was a part of our life.
We always had the newest players on the market.
I remember vinyl,  cassette tapes, and 8-track.
Family trips to the cabin kept us away from television (it was never missed).
The Carpenters, Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens and others were always there.
Dancing, is a natural byproduct of music. So of course, dancing was (is) also a part of our life.
Daddy/Daughter dates that involved dancing were ALWAYS attended.

Today, while vising dad, we got to dance again.
After morning stretches, the participating residents have a brief free-style dance off.
An invitation was extended to dad to join them.
He was promptly wheeled over to the dance floor and I followed.
As soon as the music started, I grabbed his hands and we started dancing to Jail House Rock.
Every now and then, I would stop swinging his arms to see if he would lake the lead.
I told him that we danced like this before.
I let go to show him a copy of this picture that was on my phone.

daddy daugter

I put the phone away and returned to the dance floor.
This time, he took the lead and grabbed my hands.
I continued to swing his arms and we danced some more.
I love our visits most when bits and pieces of dad resurface…
even the tiniest ones matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment