Sunday, December 5, 2010

Good

December brings with it the season of giving.
I like to think giving as more than what is placed under the tree.
It is the time we can share,
the kindnesses we can extend,
the thanks that we express,
the smiles we place on our face,
the helping hand that we offer.

As the end of the year falls us upon us,
I find myself reflecting on the resolutions of this year.
My decision to do a good deed daily was by far the easiest resolution I have made.
In fact, it may be the only one I have kept.

What this resolution has done for me
surpasses anything that I have done for others.
I have been reassured that there IS good in this world.
There are many opportunities EACH and every day for us to do good.
Sometimes the smallest things make the biggest difference.
It puts a smile on my face when I witness the good deeds performed by others.
The BEST good deeds are the quiet, unannounced good deeds.

A hymn from the LDS Hymnbook sums it up perfectly:

“Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.”

“There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.”

(Hymn #223)

I have come to the conclusion that
I do not need a resolution,  it is quite natural and effortless.
It is almost shameless to say, it is rewarding.

I want to be selfish and feel this good every day.
Join me.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing person and I look up to you and admire you so much!Thank you for inspiring me through your example and testimony!

    ReplyDelete