Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bridges

I read a quote posted on a friends blog.
I immediately looked for the source so I could read the rest of the text.
I am so thankful I did.

In May, President Monson spoke at Dixie College
as they celebrated 100 years.

He spoke of three bridges:

1] the bridge of attitude

"Attitude can make all the difference in our lives, and we control our attitude," he said. "It can make us miserable or happy, content or dissatisfied. To a great degree, it can make us strong or weak."

It was the philosopher William James who developed the "as if" principle: If you want a virtue, act as if you already have it. If you want to be brave, act as if your are brave. If you want to be happy, act happy.

"Change your attitude by trying the 'as if" principle — it can work for all of us."

2] the bridge of integrity

"Being true to oneself is anything but easy if the moral standards of one's associates conflict with his or her own," he said. "The herd instinct is strong in the human animal, and the phrase 'Everybody else is doing it' has an insidious attraction. ...

"Nothing takes more strength than swimming against the current. You, my friends, are strong and must at times decide to swim against that current."

3] the bridge of service

"During your life you may achieve wealth or fame or social standing," he said. "Real success, however, comes from helping others."

All will have opportunities to serve.

"The blind and the handicapped need friendship; the aged are hungry for companionship; the young need understanding guidance; the gifted are starved for encouragement. These benefits can't be conferred by reaching for your checkbook. Personal service is direct and human."

… one's personal service may not be dramatic, but it can bolster human spirits, clothe cold bodies, feed hungry people, comfort grieving hearts and lift precious souls to new heights.

"My young friends, your life will be fuller, richer and happier if you seek for and find opportunities to be of service."

I find myself, again, full of short comings.
It seems, that the simplest things, are the most difficult to live by.
I believe my attitude and integrity are in line with His teachings,
but I struggle with the simple acts of service.
I tend to “pick and choose”.
I know I need to just “go and do”!

I think I will start with Visiting Teaching

No comments:

Post a Comment