Friday, April 15, 2016

Being Ernest

Earlier this week, my cousin and his youngest son paid dad a visit. Visitors are always a good thing…

IMG_0040

Today, Dad was still eating breakfast  when I arrived. A nurse nurse was feeding him peaches. I said my hellos and waited him to finish. One if the residents kept asking for sips of his drink. She would get distracted accept our excuses then she would ask again a few minutes later.

I brought in Dad's car magazine this time. Does wiping down his syrup sticky fingers, I noticed his long nails. I must to bring the clippers next visit. His hair remains trimmed and he is clean shaven ( with only a little scuffle). I assume Hospice is responsible for this upkeep.

He is quite fidgety and is mumbling incoherently. His voice is quiet, but once in awhile I get a look and a smile. His smiles say so much. I got a little weepy today as a watched my once so strong daddy struggle to grasp a cup. But he kept on smiling. I guess it's safe to say... he is good with things.

I sat with him a little longer, gave him a little back scratch, & then said my goodbyes. As I was leaving I told him to have a good day. He responded "okay". I  left with a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment