Saturday, April 9, 2016

we forgot…

Forgetting is a natural side effect of aging.
At least, that is what I am blaming my recent and shameful forgetfulness.
I might add my husband to this statement, because we forgot to remind each other.

Under normal circumstances, this is not a big deal.
Usually, we can overcome these oversights.
But, when it effects a third party, recovery is not as simple.

Ever since their first birthday, each of our daughters received roses from their father.
One, for every age.
A single on on their first birthday. A dozen for #12, Sixteen for sweet 16.
Well, you get the picture.

This year would have been 26 for our eldest.
But is wasn’t. We forgot.
But this is not the only forgotten tradition.
All of the usual pomp and circumstance of birthday week (as we affectionately call it)
were also downgraded. No wrapped presents. No birthday cake.

In our defense, we did not forget to eat.
That is something we hardly every forget to do.
And, Kylee did get to choose.

So, as I try to sort through my guilt,
I have to remind myself that we did do something good.
We raised a daughter that is easy going.
We raised a daughter that has never been overly dramatic, self centered or demanding.
We raised a daughter that faithfully served a mission and returned with honor.
This birthday came and went with hardly a peep.

As I prepare now for the birthday (week) of my youngest.
I laughed a little when I though to myself…
The first born has to deal with our mistakes.
The second born has to deal with our over-corrections.

Again, I remind myself that we did do something good…
TWICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment