Sunday, April 11, 2010

Primary

Three and a half years ago, our Ward boundaries were realigned. We were shuffled from our Ward of 11 years. Before our first Sunday in our new Ward, I was called as Primary President.

I thought the Bishopric was crazy, but I (reluctantly) accepted. The difficult task ahead . . . selecting counselors from a pool of strangers. I spent many days driving through the neighborhood, flipping though the ward list, attending the temple and praying. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Me and my newly called presidency dove right in. We desperately tried to learn and remember the names of over 140 children. We fell in love with the children immediately.

A few (of MANY)  highlights.

  1. Three weeks before our first Primary Program, I lost my 1st Counselor, Pianist, and Music leader to other calling. (VERY bad timing!)
  2. Again, before our second Primary Program, I lost my Music leader.
  3. I LOVED running around in the middle of a water fight that we (the Presidency) started after one of our Quarterly Activities.
  4. I amazed the children when I did a Sharing Time on the Atonement.
  5. Every week, I reminded the children the importance of being reverent. They rarely disappointed me.

This year has had a great start. At the end of March, we had a Quarterly Activity with an Easter theme. The kids went on a “Special” Easter Egg Hunt and they collected eggs that were filled with a simple reminder of or Savior and His atonement and resurrection. We have other exciting activities and learning experiences planned.

BUT . . .

Today, I was released. I think the Bishopric is crazy. But I am thrilled for the children as I know the new Presidency will be awesome.

1 comment:

  1. you were such a great primary president! i'm grateful to you for being such a wonderful example of serving others and fulfilling your church calling to the fullest. i'm excited to go to relief society with you!

    ReplyDelete