Monday, September 15, 2014

balance

On Sunday, I fixed Chili for dinner.
I prepared it early in the morning and poured it into my crockpot to simmer while at church.
For those of you who know my naughty dog, Chester, this next sentence will make sense to you…
I put the crockpot on top of the washer in the laundry room just before leaving the house
I was the first one home and promptly attempted to transport the crockpot back into the kitchen.
As I lifted the crock pot [that was filled to the brim] the contents shifted
and before I knew it, scalding hot chili pour out onto my hand.
I set it down to regain balance, and tried once more, successfully.
By now, my hand was stinging from the incredible heat.
I followed first aid protocol and took measures to cool down the wound.
I was fortunate to only have burned a single finger.
I received a very strong example of how important balance is in our lives.
Balance is defined as mental and emotional steadiness; it is to bring into harmony or proportion.
We need balance spiritually, intellectually, physically, socially,and economically.
Over the past several months, I have assessed the balance (or lack thereof) in my own life.
I have often found myself over consumed by work.
I have neglected my physical health.
[This list could get long!]
The wise Job said, “Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity”
(Job 31:6)
Talents, gifts of expression, and precious time are exhausted in swimming against too many tides

Balance in large measure is knowing the things that can be changed, putting them in proper perspective, and recognizing the things that will not change. And balance also lies in attitude. May our attitude be one of achieving balance and wisdom and understanding in all that we do.

~James E Faust
I have recently made some changes. So many more still need to take place,
but I already feel the scales are leveling out and balance is returning to my life

No comments:

Post a Comment