Saturday, February 21, 2009

Motherhood is confusing.

And teenagers are hard to read.

In case you did not already know: I am a planner. Hence, I have already started planning Taylor's sweet 16 party (only 6 weeks away). Since her birthday falls on Spring Break/Easter Weekend - we will have an almost sweet 16 the week before.

Flashback March 2006. Kylee is ADAMANT about NOT having a birthday party. I wanted to throw her a surprise party, but her feet seemed so firmly planted on NO that I did not dare cross that line. Every so often I would mention a small party and she still insisted NO! So, I finally gave up and set aside all hopes of a Sweet 16 for my first born. They day came and went, with no party. Kylee seemed OK with it.

Present day. I am planning away for Taylor - who LOVES parties. Kylee reveals to me that she wishes she had a Sweet 16 party. When I confess to her that I wanted to throw her a surprise party but was afraid to because of her ABSOLUTELY NOT attitude about any event. She told me that I should have done so anyway. Ever since then, I have had a major dose of self inflicted GUILT!!! She tells me it is OK, but I will carry this disappointing childhood milestone for a long time.

Moral of the story - 1. Not all 16 year old's know what they really want and 2. I should have followed my instincts. There is something to be said about those feelings a mother gets in her gut. My advise - follow those feelings and NEVER EVER set aside a childs milestone event.

blog signature

1 comment:

  1. Good advice Heather. But looking back at my life I didn't want a lot of things either, but now I wish I had. I think there are always things we are going to regret and wish we acted differently. (I'm referring to Kylee, by the way) She may not have wanted a party back then, but now looking back she wished she did. It might have also surfaced because of a little hint of jealosy and sibling rivarly because you are now planning for Taylor. But I don't know. You know your girls better than I do. I look back and wish I acted different too, but at the time I was totally justified in the way I was. So, don't beat yourself up about it too much! You are a great mother to say the least, with or without any parties!

    ReplyDelete